Monday, December 03, 2007

Commission | Robe | Right Hand Man

As I'm getting settled back into a sense of something normal here in my personal studio, I'm tackling yet another stream of commissions. I was endlessly worried about my hand holding me back and stopping my ability to work. Fortunately, my wonderful neighbor Ted has offered to be my right hand and spent some time cutting patterns for me the other day so I could continue sewing. Somehow, with this awful splint I can manage sewing. Drawing and writing is another story and remains incredibly difficult. Here he is hard at work as my right hand. Ted's such a peach!

As a result, I was able to finish this unusual and exciting commission: a bath robe. Were my own creative muses to guide the ship, I doubt I would have ended up spending several days making a robe. Thankfully, Robert found this fantastic vintage feeling plaid and voiced the oft-heard concern of not being able to find things off the rack that fit him. I love hearing this concern, and responded with a piece that models the cut of a 1940s silk lounging robe that I found about a year ago for my own wardrobe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason Loper said...

Love it! I can imagine wearing that robe, sitting by a fire, drinking brandy . . . and in walks my wife, Carol Lombarde! But she doens't look nearly as glamourous as I do!

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home