Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Next




One of the most compelling things for me here at Watermill has been an exposure to dancers from other cultures. While I have always been a fan of dance, the occasions I have actually experienced performances are few. Thankfully, there is a wide range of dancers here who are ready and willing to work, experiment, and let me dress them.

The most intriguing so far have been Illenk Gentille from Indonesia and Savann Yin from Cambodia. Both have proven themselves to be immensely vibrant and radiant performers, and never before have I seen young men who can communicate energy and grace of this sort with such ease and assurance.




Its looking like I may have a chance to create costumes for them both. Right now, I can't think of anything else I would rather do. I see them both in white or ivory. Savann's stunning "King of the Monkies" dance surely calls for an elaborate neckpiece for a mask to rest upon...not to mention a more attractive performance space than the chartreuse floor of an outdoor tent.

Illenk's sensibilities are clearly suited to something that moves and drapes. I want his garments to become tools that support the already captivating gestures inherent to his style.

The possibilities are endless.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Mickey Dolenz was the King of the Monkeys.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what Minder Sue told me too. This Savann guy's aunts and uncles better watch their backs.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home