Friday, November 24, 2006

Getting Back To It

Spending my days along side a master tailor has been a joy, a prividelge, and has taught me so much. Apart from learning the shop and handling various odds and ends in my first week and a half, I have made four pair of 18th Century style fall-front knee breeches and 3 red velvet waist coats.

A few other things that my new job has taught me:

-Professional theatre is hard work
-The benefits of using tailor's tape
-Press your napped fabrics on a velvet board to retain the loft in their pile
-A double welt pocket is not nearly as complicated as it looks
-Stereotypes about those who work in theatre are entirely untrue
-Stereotypes about those who work in theatre are entirely true
-A giant learning curve is the best thing a job can offer
-Though I swore I never would, I have found a career that uses math on a daily basis
-I'm a fool to not have a sleeve board or tailor's ham in my studio

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we're having tailor's ham for Christmas this year.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to know someone who makes tailor's hams...

I found a word for you:

sartorial \sar-TOR-ee-uhl\, adjective:

1. Of or relating to a tailor or to tailoring.
2. Of or relating to clothing, or style or manner of dress.
3. [Anatomy] Of or relating to the sartorius muscle.


His sartorial style runs toward jeans, Hawaiian shirts and cowboy boots, and he favors the grizzled, haven't-shaven-in-days look.
-- Gary Rivlin, "AOL's Rough Riders", Industry Standard, October 23, 2000

She probably sensed that he had married her for her beautiful dark eyes and sartorial splendor -- and she may now have regretted the plumed hats and luxurious fur collars she had worn seductively in her youth.
-- Thomas A. Underwood, Allen Tate: Orphan of the South

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Obat Untuk Mengobati penyakit osteoarthritis said...

This article is interesting and useful. And let me share an article about health which insha Allah will be very useful if we use it again for others.

Cara Mengobati Penyakit Gula Darah

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home