Saturday, August 19, 2006

Reflections: On Watermill, Fashion, Collars, Comfort, New York City, My Future

-Never before in my life have I been part of such an international, interdisciplinary, and supremely talented group of artists. It was a joy to be reminded that so many engaging people exist in the world, and that they’re all looking for a means of using the arts to say something that matters. When we didn’t speak the same language, we still spoke the exact same language when working together.

-The food at Watermill was always superb, and it made me fat. On days of doing mindless yard work or other tedious tasks, a hefty meal was often one of few bright spots in an otherwise dull daily schedule.

-Not until the last week of the program did I find a means of doing something that was truly creatively satisfying. What a shame. Thankfully, the project shows promise and the people involved became close friends. I will be doing all I can to take the show on the road to Bali and Germany in spring.

-The French girls made not wearing undergarments seem so easy. It was as if their comfort was projected onto me as their freely swinging breasts beneath white cotton sun dresses reminded me that functioning on the extreme end of comfort is at times as satisfying as an extreme in discomfort.

-The modern design collections at MoMA were brilliant. I stumbled upon them after viewing several galleries packed with equally beautiful drawings and architectural plans. It made me want to draw again, and I plan to head straight home and do just that.

-The average New Yorker is no more or less stylish than people from any other part of the United States. What New York offers, however, is a camp of people interested in something new…something challenging…something in their wardrobe that reflects the life they’re living. This, I like.

-I would only give more than 3 seconds of viewing time to the paintings and sculptures at the Met that showcased interesting clothing. The best thing about a classic portrait is that it not only highlights the sitter’s personality and face, but also their clothing. At the very least we can enjoy their collar. And oh what beautiful collars some of them had!



-I think I love New York, but I’m not certain I want to live there quite yet. The cultural and artistic variety in the city is amazing…something to yearn for, no doubt. But boy is it noisy! And boy is it fast! And boy do some of the people seem mighty overworked and stressed! And boy oh boy are some of those apartments smelly and tiny and expensive as hell! I think I’ll take a few months in Seattle to think about it all and see if it is indeed the place I want to live next.

-Without Connie Francis singing “Don’t Ever Leave Me” on my ipod, I don’t think I would have made it through these past 7 weeks. The chorus is brilliant - one of the most beautiful things I heard all summer.

-Success and money don’t make you happy. They don’t even necessarily give you the life you had always hoped you would live. I haven’t learned this from my own experience, but from the watching the lives of others. On Long Island I met so many people with SO much money and notoriety that still seemed miserable…like they were scrambling for something more - something more meaningful and lasting. Once again, the Beatles were right. I love the Beatles.

-It wasn’t until watching the documentary “Resident Alien” on my laptop during the flight home that I realized I was staying just blocks from where Quentin Crisp himself lived! The closing scene of the film shows him walking home at the corner of Astor and 9th Street. Had I known this sooner I would have slowed down while there. Maybe even taken a photograph.



-My friends Sofia and Mauro say that Laurie Anderson is an angel.



-For the past five days I have had the privilege of showering in the best shower in New York City. In the words of my wonderful friend and consummate host Jay, “Every time I take a shower I have a GREAT time!” Long live excellent water pressure on the lower east side!

-I am going to miss a lot of people very very much. Others, not so much.

-Please go see the Dada exhibition at MoMA. Hannah Hoch, looking at your collages is like kissing Jesus. Maybe even better.




-Living out of a suitcase for seven weeks is a drag. I want to formally apologize for having such a dismal and repetitive wardrobe in all of the photographs I have shared with you. There’s only so much one can haul, and only so many combinations that can be had with what one does end up hauling. I’ll try to make up for it when you see me on the streets of Seattle.

-Rest assured that A Seamster’s Summer is not over. I enjoy this blogging thing far too much to call it quits. I can only hope you all enjoy this as much as I do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.

10:19 AM  
Blogger WIP said...

Ditto to said above. Lifes lessons when learned are keepers. I have learned a few, and I hope I learn more.

Congrats on being confined yet free, with art and then more.

Keep writing. Keep creating.

[WIP]

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a bad summer I'd say. And yes Mikey, we enjoy the blog as much as you.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I get a little back tracked and I have to read a lot of your bloggings at once and I just love it because it feels like I'm reading some kind of memoir from the likes of an art book/journal... and then I realize that I kinda am.
You and your blog are special to me. Special right into my heart.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home