Monday, August 07, 2006

The Beauty of Language Barriers / False Appearances / A Response

Some recent conversations, both overheard and experienced first hand:

-One-

A Kind Hungarian: Hello, I am Tina from Hungary

A Kind Indonesian: We have lots of food in the kitchen. You can eat.

AKH: No, my name is Tina, from Hungary

AKI: Yes, I know. We have food! Its free for you

AKH: No, my name is Tina, FROM Hungary...

AKI: I just cooked! You should eat...its very good!

AKH: You dont understand...I am from Hungary...

AKI: I understand. You're hungry. Come eat now!....

This continued for a LONG time until someone interjected to clarify...




-Two- (this is ridiculous)

A Kind Fabric Store Employee: Your total is $13.47

Me: O.K.

AKFSE: I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you look just like Brad Pitt!

M: Why thank you, but actually I don't EVER hear that...

AKFSE: You're kidding!

M: No, I'm definitely not kidding. But please, feel free to tell me this sort of thing whenever you'd like...




-Three-

Ereck: "What is elegance? Soap and water!" -Cecil Beaton

Mike: "Perhaps the world's second-worst crime is boredom; the first is being a bore." -Cecil Beaton

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

still laughing about the story of Tina and Illenk and still hearing your nose under Illenk's feet on the concrete ...thanks for the "Watercycle Diaries", dear CHE Mike!
See you in Germany, Anja (Maria von Behr), waiting with the swiffer!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home