Sunday, June 18, 2006

From Freak Flag to P-FLAG






I did it! And I couldn't be happier. The 2006 Fremont Solstice Celebration and Parade were absolutely fantastic, and I had a blast being a part of it all. I, as you can see, opted to use paint as my attire for the day. My good friends Anna (Calamity Jane meets Daisy Duke meets Rosie the Riveter meets...), Jason (performing a birthing ritual featuring one of my cocoons and his naked self) and Amanda (the fairest of summer maidens) were willing participants at my side as we accompanied a zydeco band the full length of the parade running from West Fremont to Gas Works Park. Anna put her brilliance to work once again with a gold base layer under a beautifully rendered floral motif in peachy red. We were in the most pleasant of company including giant papier mache heads, George Bush in a flight suit, fertility gods and goddesses, hundreds of nude bicyclists, and my very favorite...a troupe of 30 or so little kids riding uni-cycles! The weather was lovely, the streets were beyond full, smiles were on every face, and I met a personal goal that I'm quite proud of.

The best thing about these types of events is that no one cares, and at the very same time everyone cares. Regardless of your age, race, sexuality, body type, gender, preference, diet, language, etc, you're given a chance to celebrate, decorate yourself, and take the streets with a neighborhood in full support of what you're doing. Of course I realize this review is a bit candy coated and that not everything in life is so consistantly pleasant or wonderful...but for the 2 hours that parade took place, it sure did feel like it.

Sadly, I have no interest or impulse to do it all over again next weekend for Seattle's gay pride celebrations. But why would I? Banding together with the folks in Fremont was a pleasure and a blessing. Their open minds made it all really wonderful. What good would it do me to repeat the gesture for one of the most superficial crowds around? While I adore the notion of taking the streets with my homo brothers and sisters, the thought of a repeat performance in body paint makes me cringe as I forecast the steady gaze of judgemental eyes, and the objectification that is likely at an event like that. I think instead I'll opt for sleeves and pantlegs...maybe hang out with the moms and dads of P-FLAG. Am I foolish to think of the situation in this light? Is what's good for one crowd good for another?


PS: If you're considering body paint in the hot summer sun, please opt for an under-layer of sun screen. Unless, of course, you're fond of the subsequent sunburn pattern you're likely to get. I'm delighted to be able to keep wearing Anna's hand painted flowers for a few more days!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sunburn! I bet Anna could make a mint here in the valley! You look so gorgeous, Mikey.

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is the best sunburn i've ever seen! and we both know that my fair ass has seen quite my share of sunburns. i love your outfit, and i WISH i could have been there. you're too damn cute for your own good. love ya!

1:16 AM  
Blogger WIP said...

You can still make a statement by being on the sidelines, you can also show support in the same way, Do what makes you feel safe and comfortable while still standing for what you believe is right.

You can still gain the same happiness hanging out with the moms and dads of p-flag as you would walking with the rest.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These pix make me tingle.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Dove With Claws said...

Somebody should send these to Buch...

9:36 PM  
Blogger John said...

nike free run
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet
lebron james shoes
michael kors outlet
nike air max
nike roshe run
louboutin pas cher
louis vuitton
toms
prada uk
kate spade handbags
nike trainers
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
louis vuitton
louis vuitton outlet
mont blanc pens
michael kors bag
nike running shoes
ugg boots
ray ban sunglasses outlet
fitflops sale clearance
louis vuitton outlet
swarovski jewelry
timberland boots
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
cheap oakleys
uggs sale
ugg boots
oakley sunglasses
ugg outlet
20151202yuanyuan

10:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0522
polo outlet
polo ralph lauren
pandora charms
michael kors wallets
air max 90
ray ban sunglasses
air max 2017
swarovski crystal
michael kors outlet
new balance shoes

11:21 PM  
Blogger 78ABC said...

0813jejeSans surprise, basket nike air max homme 2018 votre assortiment a rapidement augmenté et maintenant vous vous basket presto nike retrouvez dans la passion, un passe-temps nike dynamo free ebay délicieux, je pourrais incorporer. Discuter des méthodes asics baskets de production d'une équipe virtuelle fait l'affaire, asics course a pied pas cher Grazier déplore que la motivation chaussure nike tn femme soit un ingrédient clé pour surmonter asics gel lyte v da vinci les défis. Le Nike Air Max Plus est nike air jordan 1 retro high gg bhm communément appelé Air TN ou Air baskets nike presto femme Tuned.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Obat Alami Untuk Kuku Cantengan said...


This article is interesting and useful. And let me share an article about health which insha Allah will be very useful if we use it again for others.

Cara Menghilangkan Rasa Mual
Obat Kanker Laring Paling Ampuh
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Lipoma
Cara Mengobati Campak
6 Tips Obat Untuk Cara Mengobati Bronkitis
Cara Untuk Mengangkat Kanker Hati

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home