Monday, June 12, 2006

Skirt by Cepress, Pleats by Beaton and Tennant



While working on a skirt for my friend Drew today, I found myself repeatedly opting only for books on Stephen Tennant and Cecil Beaton when needing to weight down and set freshly steamed pleats in the boiled wool I was constructing. I intentionally dodged the varied tomes on fashion history at hand, even though they would have been a better choice since they are heavier.

It was almost as though I felt my pleats would somehow be better served if sat upon by the words of my aesthete heros of the 1930s; as though the playfulness of Beaton and immeasureable beauty of Tennant would creep into the folds and somehow make the piece swing more gingerly, with a bit more aplomb. Am I alone in thinking that this could actually help? Surely such a lovely duo could have a hand in my studio practice...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmm...sounds pretty GAY to me...

luv ya buddy

7:11 AM  
Blogger WIP said...

If that is were you gut is taking you to go, as is history I say why not go for it. Will this add to the overall character of the skirt and such or take away from it ?Do what feels right.

Draw insperation from what inspires you.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Erk said...

The history of fashion (predicated on change and therefore endlessly excremental) can be an impossible weight to bear. Go for the light, for the luminary: Tennant and Beaton are perfect. Undeniably perfect.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That seems to be osmosis in action. It seemed to work in college when I would place the collected works of Shakespeare on my midterms.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home