Friday, October 09, 2009

Partners In Crime | MC and Heilyke

I loved being a student. Those were especially wonderful years in my life, and I constantly find myself reflecting on how formative and important those grueling college years truly were.

Now as an instructor at the University of Washington I get to watch new talent emerge and shine under the bright lights of academia. Stand-out students quickly make themselves recognizable, and often continue that momentum after they graduate and take on the real world.

Heili Aun Nalla, a former student of mine has continued to see great press and attention for all her recent work. Heili has been an irreplacible help to the work here at my shop as she steadily forges ahead by my side to offer her expert patternmaking skills and superb stitching abilities. And even more exciting now is the emergance of Heilyke ...her own line of womenwear. The sculptural beauty of this first suite of designs is impressive and exciting. Her debut runway event in July can be seen on Seattle Fashion TV, and she and I were happy to spend time together last night at the event lauch. NEEDLEPLUSTHREAD was especially supportive and generously offered to take our photographs during last night's party. Thanks to Kam for aiming her camera in our direction!


Also, be sure to take a look at her work in the Student Showcase of the newest issue of FiberArts Magazine.

Heili is a true talent and beautifully skilled craftswoman. I'm proud to know her and remain endelessly grateful to have her on the MC team!