Thursday, November 08, 2007

Work | The Greys of Greece


A bit more show and tell from my studio. This commission is for a highly skilled and respected blacksmith here on the West coast. His strong build and utilitarian sensibilities seemed to call for this square cut, workman's patch pockets, and prominent closures. The flashy lining was a treat for me (an art deco silk I purchased 4 years ago in Chicago and have just now found a use for) and having this fine quality wool I found in Athens in my hands all day made each minute at the machine a pleasure. Working with good fabrics makes ALL the difference, friends. The buttons you see here will not remain on the coat. Being the savvy designer/craftsman that he is, the new owner has plans to design and produce custom buttons for his piece - an excellent merge of skills and ideas. I'm excited to see what he chooses.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

nice addition of the purply silk on the front!

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This coat has elements of what Grandma calls my "poor boy coat." I like it.

Does the fabric have more shimmer than these pictures let on?

7:22 AM  
Blogger MC said...

More shimmer, Mr. C? You wish!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home