Monday, May 04, 2009

Daily Reflection: May 4, 2009

After an amazing shoot all day today with Debora Spencer, I'm more than excited about Thursday's collection preview at Thaw. I knew Debora's track record as a photographer was already fabulous and loaded with photographs of - and recommendations from - people I greatly admire. Spending the better part of 6 hours in her studio today was a joy. With a truly skilled and trustworthy team taking shape, I'm able to step into a shoot with such confidence. With Henry on hair, Suresh on makeup, Mitch assisting in every way, some very striking and gifted models, Debora behind the lens today capturing some very powerful images - it all allows me to see the clothes in so many new ways, and offers me a freedom I endlessly crave - the opportunity to guide and preen a larger sense of the collection that up until this moment I have spend very long hours preparing.
Somehow the 13 or 15 hour days I've been tallying for the past weeks become completely reasonable when considering the rewards of these moments. I suppose a remark like that is either the sign of a true workahaulic - or more likely - the marker of an accomplishment that sits very closely to the reasons I do any of this in the first place. Anyone who gives themselves permission to embed their life in the work they love knows how the hours pass with ease when in the midst of that high.

I'm proud of what we're putting together here, and I'm even more excited to share it with you all on the runway Thursday night - and again in photos very soon.