Monday, October 15, 2007

Dream Sequence | Mending Aretha (the queeN herself) | Shredding Tina

During a Sunday afternoon nap, I had the most vivid and wonderful dream in two parts:

Part one: Backstage at an Aretha Franklin concert, just before she's slated to go on stage, the queen herself realizes that the beaded and sequined detail at the front closure of her dress (at the junction of her noteworthy bosom) has fallen loose from the garment...so much so that even the black satin facing at the neckline has come loose. She comes to me in a flustered panic and asks if I can mend it quickly before she goes on. I happen to have needle and thread on hand (in the right color, even) and do a quick bit of hand-stitching that carries her through the show.



Part Two: On the streets of London, somewhere in the shopping district of Covent Garden, Tina Turner and I shop for new pieces to add to her stage wardrobe. This is late 1960s Tina, mind you....not the Tina of today. Sadly, everything we find offers nothing close to the torn, tattered jungle queen look she wants for that night's show. At Blackout II we find something close, and I offer to make a few last minute alterations to make it work. At the moment, the alterations I had in mind were to crop the skirt length to a scant 3 or 4 inches, and shred the hell out of every hem on the garment. All I want is for Tina to look great and be happy.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you mean "queen" instead of "queer" in your 2nd paragraph, those it's a most enjoyable typo. :-)

More importantly, this is an excellent post and an interesting dream. And you're right about Ms. Franklin's bosom - noteworthy, indeed.

2:25 PM  
Blogger MC said...

My own typo made me laugh out loud. Freudian at best.

Glad you liked the post. Glad I'm dreaming again. It has literally been years since I've remembered a dream...

3:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i can just see you getting lost in miss aretha's boobs ;)

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see small countries getting lost in there.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

maybe we should search for atlantis in there

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blackout II! This makes me very excited and brings me back to one of my best purchases in London: the peacock earings... (and your best purchase, the shark suit). I wouldn't be surprised if you had a needle and thread on you, the perfect color to fix a queen in a jiffy!! I'm glad you're dreaming again too. Miss you!!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home