Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Paper This | Paper That

Now that I have returned to Seattle after a really wonderful 10 days in Athens, followed by 3 days in New York City, I feel a responsibility to reflect upon the most meaningful moments of my trip. This is not an order suitable for only one post, so I'll be taking this one piece at a time.

One of the things that struck me most about Athens (and Europe in general, I suppose) is the apparent public appreciation and support for the arts that does not always seem to exist in the United States. The museum's galleries were packed full for the exhibition's open receptions, and there was a steady flow of new faces through the galleries every day thereafter. It was a joy to see so much enthusiasm for new endeavors at a museum, and I was thrilled to be part of it all.

This idea really hit home when I was asked to be part of an in-gallery workshop during my last two days in Athens. Myself, along with a small selection of other visiting designers, were asked to work in the gallery space. I had a stack of newspapers (a lovely creamy peach Greek paper was quickly my favorite) and a scissors, and passed the hours making collar prototypes with simple tools, and chatting with gallery visitors as they came through the space.




Most fun of all was a group of young design students from a university fashion program in Athens. A lively and chatty bunch, they insisted on trying on my collars, and I insisted on getting some photos. As the afternoon progressed, even Bill from the US Embassy and Dimitris from Atopos were willing to join in.



That same afternoon, the exhibition curator's mother was invited to the gallery to crochet with a fine paper yarn - the perfect counterpoint to the rest of the exhibition.

3 Comments:

Blogger christopher said...

that is so very amazing. i look forward to reading more about your short time in greece!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time and I hope to hear more about it.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely images.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home